To help address the situation and achieve our objectives, ADEPS then work to provide the target population with the needed tools, knowledge equipment and long term and practical ways of tackling these problems and the situation in general by making them competent enough to fully rely on themselves and be able to pursue opportunities for self –fulfillment and be able to effectively and profitably bring about economic growth that will balance self and net worth improvement and at the same time help conserve and restore the ecosystems original structure while maintaining stable development.
OUR IMPACT STATEMENT
Summary of our impact report
We work to promote economic growth; improve health and education; protect and improve environment. In achieving this mission, we have developed a time framed strategic plan and a performance benchmark, having a comprehensive results framework, which includes a form of ADEPS led planning instrument that defines the organization’s approach in carrying out these activities, hence helping address the problems and issues in question and leading to achievement of our mission.
Step-by-step, all these work is guided by our strong internal structures and systems that help us ensure good organizational functioning and management, and in particular to the proper projects formulations and implementations, leading to results based interventions.
In addition to the strong internal structures and systems, we also maintain both a competent decision and policy making team and skilled workforce to facilitate the achievement of the intended results.
To measure on these performances, we have yet again developed an in depth self-assessment plan covering all key areas of operation, both at the organization and field projects implementation levels, to help us monitor and evaluate progress towards the achievement of the set targets, determined the base line and established indicators for measuring the progress made in our intervention efforts.
What are we aiming to achieve
Our current medium term objective is to promote economic growth by empowering the target population according to each one’s disposition, improve health, provide formal education support; counseling; feeding and protect and improve the environment.
Why improve health; Promote economic growth by empowering the target population according to each ones disposition; Provide formal education support; Counseling, feeding and protect and improve the environment.
This is because the level of poverty in this area is too high. 65% 0f the population in Vihiga live below poverty line, that they cannot access basic needs in life e.g. proper feeding and healthcare among other issues with the majority of these people depending on the employed few for supply of their livelihoods requirements. Which is a serious strain on those few employed, meaning that the few working can hardly do anything in terms of development; with the ratio of working people supporting the unemployed standing at 99.4:1000. The rest of the other people then turns directly to the only available natural resources for their livelihoods, thereby exerting too much pressure on the only available resources leading to high rate of environmental degradation where for instance 95% of the soil cover have completely been destroyed leading to massive soil erosion, land silting with other more problems e.g. climate change, diseases, poor harvest, poverty among others. The landscape is poorly managed and that 25 indigenous tree species completely exterminated while more than 15 others remains threatened. A situation that complicates everything as justified by series of studies for example, according to the Kenya Economic Report (KER) 2009, THE POVERTY LEVELS IN THE COUNTRY declined, but the people living below poverty remains on the increase. Similarly, according to the Kenya Institute for Public policy and research analysis (KIPPRA) 2009, THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE living below poverty line has been on the increase for instance from 13.4 million in 1997 to 16.6 million people in 2006 with Vihiga being one the most hardest hit areas. The situation could not be good at all, because as per the recent study 2016/2017 report, at least 5 households in this area go hungry every day for lack of food and/or money to purchase the same. In the underlying circumstances, women and children remains the biggest casualties, in that 3 out of 7 children are malnourished and cannot perform well in class and at the same time cannot even access proper education and that in every 8 women, 3 cannot access their basic requirements, forcing mothers to stop breast feeding their children much earlier thereby denying children the micro nutrients such as vitamins A iodine and iron which science say are plenty in breast milk. A condition that leads to more other problems e.g. early dearth and poor performance in class where 3 out of every 7 in these area performs poorly in class.
According to the Kenya ministry of education survey 2017 is that 4.5 percent of STD 3 pupils throughout the 47 counties could not manage the set level 4 standards in mathematics as the required grades for pass, while a whopping 95.5percent children posted poor performance. Similarly only 14.6% children throughout the 47 counties could only manage to arrange English language properly, while the remaining 86.4% failed with other areas having no score at all. Yet again, other findings do indicate that 70% of class three pupils cannot manage class two work in the Kenya schools and that 11% of class 8 pupils cannot tackle class 2 work, sending serious signals .
After careful analysis of the general underlying circumstances therefore, we discover that the main route cause of all these sufferings and problems witnessed in these areas is the fact that a good many of the people here live on a try and era basis and not within their main purpose, thereby bringing about the main lifestyle most common in this area i.e. dependency and living for immediate short-term satisfactions and pleasures at the expense of meaningful long-term development engagement that can transform their lives for once, so that even after spending all day-long struggling, these people find that they cannot meet even a bare minimum of their basic needs, thereby not only resulting to the current elusive poverty menace , but more so, to the increasing of the number of people living under poverty and suffering among many other issues .
To help address the situation and achieve our objectives, ADEPS then work to provide the target population with the needed tools , knowledge, equipment and long-term and practiced ways of tackling these problems and the situation in general by making them competent enough to fully rely on themselves and be in apposition to realize their full human potentials and able to pursue opportunities for self-fulfillment and effectively and profitably bring about economic growth that will balance self and net worth improvement and at the same time, help to conserve and restore the ecosystems original structure while maintaining stable development .
What are the organizations strategies for making these happen?
To enable these work take place as planned, ADEPS has carefully prioritized her interventions work and then developed a comprehensive performance benchmark as the first key strategy for ensuring that all the agreed upon deliverables in the planned work and activities in each area of priority are well accomplished in the best possible way. It sets out the targets, determining the baseline and establishing indicators for facilitating and guiding the achievement of the intended results under each area of priority to ensure results based interventions, thereby bringing about the real desired change, so that by 2022,at least 35000 members of the community in Tiriki west will have directly been impacted positively in health prevention and management issues; 300 children with troubled background under our daycare centre; 500 women empowered economically and in line with each ones disposition and 20,000 indigenous tree seedlings planted.
SECONDLY: ADEPS will contract professionals and expertise outside our organization in given areas as per the need. Again, the organization will at the same time work to improve the skills of her own staff through the available institutions of higher learning and also draw technical support and know how from other organizations to boost her performances.
What are the organizations capabilities for doing this?
ADEPS has set up strong internal structures and systems which are key to overall good organizational planning, management and running, leading to the effective programs and projects formulation and implementation. At the same time, the organization maintains a competent and resourceful decision and policy making team, who comprises of different types of professionals and people with long working experience in different fields of development. Along this policy making team, ADEPS also work to solicit the inputs of other key successful people in the society e.g. prominent businessmen and women, politicians, senior government officials, highly learned people and others for guidance and again, we have always maintained cordial working relationship with other players e.g. government line ministries/departments and developed necessary linkages who will always be there for us at the time of need.
How shall we know if our organization is making progress?
ADEPS has developed an in depth self-assessment plan covering all the key areas of operation, both at the organizational levels and field projects implementation levels, to guide a coordinated and efficient collection, analysis, use and provision of information that will enable the tracking of all the progress made in the organizational responses as per each area of priority in regard to the problems and issues in question, so that all the strategies and metrics in place are closely monitored and screened to know if they are assisting towards attainment of the intended objectives and also enable us make improvements whenever possible and accordingly, in line with our performance benchmark as well as to the agreed standards, leading to the effective achievement of our mission.
We have selected metrics that are in line with our activities to enable tracking of progress towards the achievement of the desired change and objectives in the current areas of health care with particular focus on HIV/AIDS, Malaria, and Waterborne-diseases, Children with trouble background support program; Environment and women empowerment.
The indicators which include:
- % of people infected with HIV/AIDS categorized by gender and age
- % of young people aged 15-24 that are HIV infected categorized by gender
- % of pregnant women attending ANC who are HIV infected by age group
- % of HIV infected infants born to HIV infected mothers
- % of sexually active people reporting having had sex with non-spousal , non-regular partners in the last 12 months by gender
- Medium age at first sexual conduct among 15-24 years.
- % of young people aged 15-24 who both correctly identify ways of preventing the sexual transmission of HIV and who rejects major misconceptions about HIV transmission by gender.
- % of people aged 15-24 reporting been tested and knowing their HIV status by gender and age group.
- % of sex workers that have been tested for HIV
- % of young people aged 15-24 reporting the use of protective devices during last sexual intercourse with a non-regular partner in the last 12 months by gender.
- % of sex workers clients that have tested for HIV
- % of uniformed service that has been tested for HIV and received results
- Number of seminars/workshops everyday held every month
- % of program activities focusing on mitigation of socio-economic impacts of the diseases in question i.e. HIV/Malaria/Water-borne diseases.
- % of new cases reported everyday
- Number of community members having skills necessary to maintain personal health
- Number of children with troubled background receiving direct support.
- % of children with troubled background accessing education in relation to the normal children.
- Number of children able to exercise appropriate control in independent and group activities
- Number of children who demonstrate improved class performance in reborn to the normal children.
- % and number of pupils showing improvement in tests scores
- Number of committees and community support groups formed
- Number of families, schools, churches and individuals involved in environmental protection and improvement issues.
- Number of seminars and workshops held
- Number of new seedlings planted every month
- Number of community members who have an innate motivation to master and control their environment.
- % of program activities focusing on mitigation of women rights violation
- % of population expressing accepting attitudes towards women rights.
- Number of workshops/seminars aimed at enlightening the community
- Number of women receiving training on income generating activities (IGA)
- Number of women receiving startup capital
- Number of women successfully initiating IGA’s
- % of girls accessing education in relation to boys
- % of women aware of their rights in relation to men
What we have and haven’t accomplished so far
- 720 workshops and community engagement sessions carried out.
- 15,734 members of the community empowered to play an active role in prevention, management and control of the diseases under focus.
- 4000 health related products distributed to the community to help in the control and management of the diseases.
- 140 children with trouble background covered under our day care center..
What we intend to accomplish in the next 2017/2018-2022 Strategic plan;
- 19,266 community members to be empowered to be able to play an active role in the health care issues
- An addition of 160 more other children with trouble background to be further integrated to the day care center.
- 500, Women to be empowered economically.
- 20, 000, Indigenous tree species to be reclaimed and replanted.
- How we change the word for the better
- Our theory of change
- Dedicated to proven results
- Endorsement from previous donors /partners and Collaborators
How we change the world for the better
In our entire struggle to bring about the desired change in the community and help change the world for better, we employ three very important steps and strategies
We get to the field to collect data so that we are able to gather enough evidence, facts and full details about community life style, problems, demands /needs and others, all needed to help us came up with best way out and solutions that are exactly community oriented and able to effectively address the problems in question, so that the interventions we make are not only for the communities best interests, but more so, cost effective
We then undertake a thorough analysis of the data so collected, which is also important for the purpose of enabling us identify and come up with the very rightful and best action plans and approach so far that will help us drive the community to the desired change .
Finally, stakeholders meet to deliberate on the proposed changes and the results there in, where all the agreed upon deliverables are then entrenched in a comprehensive performance benchmark, a strategy designed to help facilitate the effective attainment of the set targets leading to achievement of the expected results and necessitating results based interventions thereby helping us realize our objectives that brings about the real desired changes in the world.
These three very important steps remains our basic approaches that help us in not only maintaining quality work and effectiveness in our development efforts , but more so recording high performance in achievement of our mission of empowering the grassroots people strive for their basic needs and generally improve their livelihoods and welfare by promoting a more constructive lifestyles through capacity building , provision of knowledge and information skills, improvement , change of attitudes , development programs and provision of material /capital support, thereby building up our target communities into their true best selves , making them more competent enough to effectively pursue opportunities and be able to bring about improved livelihoods and welfare , bringing up community members who are more focused , more healthy , skilled, more creative , economically stable and fully self-reliant hence a strong and vibrant society .
OUR THEORY OF CHANGE
DEDICATED TO PROVEN RESULTS
How does this organization make a difference?
Programs + Results
- Health care
- children with trouble background support programs.
- women empowerment
- Environmental protection and improvement
According to the organization`s self survey conducted on the impacts of her ongoing programs as well as the expected effectiveness on the results of the impending activities is that;
- Households and families impacted by ADEPS healthcare programs post a 67% improvement in the managements and control of malaria and water-borne diseases leading to reduced infections of these ailments.
- 20% youth reporting timely and proper use of preventive measures for HIV/AIDS in relation to those that were not impacted by this program, leading to a considerable drop in the new infection cases.\
- Households and families impacted by this program reported a 70% stability resulting from the general cut down on healthcare related costs, in comparison to the time before this program.
- Children in our day care program indicated 25% improvement in class performance in comparison to those outside the program.
- That people who live and operate within their best selves i.e. within their purpose, either knowing or unknowing, recorded 100% chances of succeeding in life in comparison to those who live and operate on a try and era basis.
- That with proper management and use, environment provides 99% both the understanding and solution to man`s socio-economic problems and needs, hence the reason for all manner of efforts to conserve, protect and improve this very important god-given gift.
Every single cent/dollar given to us is put into proper use, assisting us accomplish our mission and help bring about the desired change in the community. See what previous donors/partners have to say about us.
Our legal status and legitimacy
Alliance for development and population services (ADEPS) is registered as a community based organization (CBO).